Construction of a combined steel/concrete bowstring bridge crossing the canal parallel to the Garonne
COMMUNAUTE DE COMMUNES DES DEUX RIVES
Concrete and metal working designs
Single span over a distance of 25.10 metres. 2 traffic lanes 3.00 metres wide, one cantilever pavement 1.40 metres wide, 1 cantilevered cycle track 2.40 metres wide.
From a structural point of view, the structure consists of:
- 2 reconstituted box girder metallic arches.
- 8 metallic bridge parts supporting the hollow-core slab, in welded reconstituted profile of variable section, comprising cantilevers supporting the pavement and the cycle track.
- 16 metallic hangers linking the bridge parts to the arches.
- a reinforced concrete hollow-core slab 25 cm thick.
- 2 reinforced concrete upturn edge beams.
- 2 reinforced concrete portal cap beams.
The specific feature of this structure is the absence of metallic tie-rods to balance the thrusts of the arches. Here this function is performed by the hollow-core slab and the 2 edge beams.
Photos: Christine CHAUDAGNE
Steel and wood structures